using modern fighting concepts to build an effective self-defence system with all the benefits of Martial Arts. It is a hybrid blend of traditional martial arts from combat styles worldwide, including modern sport sciences (body mechanics, combat psychology) & survival techniques. AFMA gives you a unique system of self defence, martial arts and fitness made for today’s modern and unfortunately often violent world.
AFMA is a progressive self defence system based on principles from Martial Arts worldwide. Boxing, Karate, Muay Thai, Kali and Grappling are blended into one unique, effective self defence based Martial Art.
AFMA was officially ‘born’ in 1999 as Rick O’Brien and his team of Black Belt Instructors established a new syllabus, within a set of guidelines towards a positive direction and an emphasis on personal growth and development. Acknowledgment to Mick Nicholls, of Freestyle Combat who pioneered the Freestyle movement in Australia in 1979.
AFMA training offers a wide range of benefits including;
- Learning a unique self defence based freestyle martial art incorporating traditional values (respect & self discipline) with modern combative training methods.
- It is suitable for children to mature adult, beginners to Black Belt, right through to highly advanced Dan rank levels.
- Increased cardiovascular fitness, endurance and muscular strength.
- Training sessions are a great way to get in, and stay in shape.
- Weight control, burn calories in each class and increase your metabolism.
- Improved flexibility, balance, motor skills and co-ordination.
- Releasing unwanted Stress & Anger. You will feel in control, confident and happy. Endorphins last for hours /days and are totally good for you!
- Enjoyment - training is varied and fun. Beware it is highly addictive!
- Enhancing personal awareness of violence and crime. Regular training keeps you sharp; this will greatly reduce the chances of you becoming a victim.
- Improving self-confidence, empower yourself to assertively deal with potential victimizers and stand up for your right to personal safety.
- Improving lifetime self defence skills that could one day save the life of you or family. In violent times, why be a victim, learn to defend yourself & your rights.
- Sense of achievement. The belt grading system gives you progressive goals that will assist you reaching your personal best. Instructor feedback improves your skills. For children especially Gradings improve self-esteem and confidence.
- Improving children’s self esteem by developing and reinforcing skills and strategies to deal with the school bully – a sadly all too common feature of school life.