PRO ACTIVE TEEN SAFE PROGRAM
Teen Safe program is especially suited to Secondary Schools, Youth Resource centres & individual youths at risk.
KNOW THE FACTS
- Verbal and physical abuse is a threat to all young people, and can occur both outside and inside the school environment.
- One in five students are bullied at least once a week.
- 75% of sexual abuse (non rape) occurs to people under 18 (Ref: Victorian Police 2009)
- Bullying & Abuse can lead to low self-esteem, increased absenteeism, depression, learning difficulties and a negative outlook on life.
- By understanding violence and having sound safe strategies, teens will feel safer and be more aware, reducing the risk of becoming a victim.
- Learning Self Defence is just plain smart and essential for Teens. Skills for life!.
We can reduce the likelihood of becoming a victim by learning violence awareness and prevention strategies. Self defence education empowers young adults, and gives them essential tools to confidently interact with the many faces of modern society. Student's inter-personal relationships (families, friends, teachers & communities) also benefit through more open and assertive communication.
TEEN SAFE / SECONDARY SCHOOL - COURSE CONTENTS
This will depend on time available. The most popular course content can be done over 1 day or divided over 3 -4 weeks. The Teen Safe Program introduces students to the basic principles of personal security and self defence through Proactives unqiue presentation and discussion format. This is done by providing presentation and discussion in regards to; violence awareness and prevention, personal security tips (Home, Public, Travel, Parties, Internet, Road Rage, Safety Plans), dealing with fear, verbal assertive techniques 'Tounge Fooey', as well as simple effective techniques for a variety of attack and harassment situations.
Pro-Active Self Defence can also tailor specialised programmes according to suit the needs of your school, from sports karate to kickboxing workouts.
TEEN SAFE - COURSE OUTCOMES Students will:
- Develop awareness and prevention skills so that they will reduce the likelihood of being attacked.
- Develop fear management skills so that they become more positive to new or uncertain situations.
- Develop Assertiveness skills in oreder to verbally resolve conflicts with a positive outcome.
- Develop an understanding of the 'anatomy of conflict', simple logical steps in order to make better (& safer) decisions whilst under pressure from an aggressor.
- Obtain instant results, ready for immediate use.
- Learn life saving skills and how to protect oneself. Fun for students ( & teachers)
A NOTE TO SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHERS
Adolescent's often find themselves in unfamiliar, new and potentially threatening situations, especially outside the school environment. Travel, social occasions, sporting pursuits, hobby / activities, part-time work, banking, or even shopping experiences can represent real or potential threats to safety for adolescents.
Bully's, adult strangers, familiar adults or even peers can represent a physical, sexual or emotional threat to adolescents. Knowing what to do, gives the child the confidence to cope with daily living, especially if something unexpected happens. The following information is provided to help you equip your students to cope, and to feel safe in many different situations;
PROACTIVE SCHOOLS HAVE...
A BULLYING POLICY That should include definitions of violence and bulling, prevention strategies, safety promotion, safe areas, student & family information, incident reporting, victim follow up and/or counselling.
SCHOOL SECURITY all visitors should be required to sign in and out, and to wear a visible identification.
Have an EMERGENCY ACTION PLAN to for a variety of scenarious; fire, general emergencies, to cover a siege, bomb threat, toxic emission, a hostage crisis, school intruders, terrorist attack, kidnap, arson or an armed person firing indiscriminately.
STAFF TRAINING. Staff should be aware of basic violence awareness and prevention measures, (safety zones, etc.) and be trained in and have procedures for dealing with crisis situations.
STUDENT TRAINING. Students should be aware of violence awareness and prevention measures and be trained in procedures for dealing with bullying and crisis situations.
"The feedback from teachers has been absolutely positive.
Obviously the students loved it."
Anna Hristoulakas - Year 9 Pastoral Co-Ordinator, Mill Park Secondary College
"A very worthwhile safety program for adolescents".
Cathy Yates. Year 8 Phys. Ed. Reservoir Secondary College.
"Thanks Rick, the girls confidence in themselves has grown throughout the course".
Debra Randles. Youth Outreach Centre.
"The Proactive Self Defence instructors are professional, knowledgeable and kept the kids active & having fun, which left smiles on their faces as they walked out of class".
Lloyd Devlin. Manager Kelly Sports Plenty Valley
We have taught over 5000 students since 1992, from grade 1 to year 12 levels.
Some of the satisfied schools who have used our proven programms include:
- Apollo Parkways Primary School
- Epping Secondary College
- Eltham High
- Glen Catherine Primary School
- Catholic Ladies College
- Ivanhoe Grammar Plenty Campus
- Ivanhoe Grammar Girls
- Ironbark Christian College
- Lalor West PS
- Loyola College
- Overnewton College
- Mill Park Secondary College
- Mill Park Primary School
- Plenty Parklands PS
- Reservoir District Secondary College
- Thomastown Secondary College
- Thomastown East P.S